Friday, February 7, 2014

Waiting for Pizza

My brother:  What are you doing?
Me:  Making coffee.
My brother:  S'okay I'll get it.
Me:  I'm making iced...
My brother:  It's cold out...
Me:  I'm aware. (grins)
My brother:  Allllrrriiiggghhhtttt...
Me:  (sits back down and starts typing)
My brother:  What's that?
Me:  I'm blogging.
My brother:  On your tablet?
Me:  It's convenient.  Besides it's way easier than blogging on my phone.
My brother:  You blog on your phone?
Me:  Not easily.

The funny thing about this conversation is we both already know what's going to be asked and the answer.  We can practically finish each others sentences.  It's a comfortable exchange.  He's my brother.  We're not actually talking for information.  We're talking to hear each other talk while we wait for the pizza delivery guy.  In most cases, you won't have a pre-established relationship with the individual you're attempting to communicate with, exchange information, or gain information.  Having not only your goal in mind but also well researched steps for reaching that goal is key to achieving it.  If you think of communicating to achieve a goal in two steps:  communicating is similar to interviewing and achieving the goal is similar to being hired; it's a simple matter to develop the process.  Not every conversation is like waiting for pizza.  You need to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment