Friday, January 24, 2014

Nothing you do is insignificant

The gaming industry is one of the most unique places I've ever had the pleasure of working.  Most of the time, you never meet the people you work with, never get past the avatar, or the user name.  I did qualify my statement with "most of the time".  After, you've worked with the same people for years as in any industry, you develop friendships.  A few of my friends and I were working on a game.  I was so absorbed in writing a small playfield back story my Dad and brother easily snuck up on me on their way to the kitchen.  There were times my Mom swore I was always the last one to the table.  My Dad was always full of questions.  He never ceased to want to be in the know with what my brother or I were doing.  That day his questions were directed toward me.  He wanted to know what a computer scientist, an engineer, a ceramic engineer, and a former military man were doing working on a video game.  Easy one.  I was writing the back story.  The guys each had their own things going.  I know they were working out the graphics, dimensions, and physics of the temple.  The material could be fictional but all the equations still had to add up.  My Dad laughed and my brother raised an eye brow.  "Why does a video game have to have a story or make sense?", Dad asked almost rhetorically.  I know what he was alluding to with his light-hearted question.  Technically it doesn't need a back story and it obviously never needs to make sense.  I told them we like for it to be as realistic as possible for immersion players.  Those are people who simply enjoy losing themselves in another world.  Besides, if we don't give one hundred percent to anything we chose to spend our time on, why would we expect anything we do to be successful.  This they understood. 

Nothing you do is insignificant.  Nothing you do is unimportant.         

No comments:

Post a Comment