Friday, January 3, 2014

Anything but Roses


For as long as I can remember, my Dad always called us from his office on Mom's birthday or their anniversary.  He'd give us money to buy flowers to have delivered to Mom at her office.  He'd take care of the rest.  He always said "pick something nice that your Mom would like" with a smile then he'd roll his eyes and say "no roses".  My Dad grew up surrounded by rose bushes all his life.  He said they were far too common a flower to give to my Mom.  My brother and I always found this funny since my Dad could find the beauty in a dandelion.  He said if they weren't so common, they wouldn't be weeds.  After a time, we could see how a bouquet of wildflowers is infinitely more lovely and meaningful than a bouquet of roses.

After many years of buying flowers for our Dad, we learned many things.  My Dad loves my Mom in a way we can't put to words.  Trust me.  We've tried it.  Things have no meaning until you give them meaning.  It's nothing unless you believe it.  Things become what you perceive.  Those last three apply to most all things in life, not just selecting uncommon flowers for gifts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment