Friday, March 17, 2023

It's never too late

I was married once. It didn't end well. However, we've always maintained friendly terms with his family. I still think fondly of them. One of the things I remember well is talking with his father. He once told me he was proud of me for graduating high school with honors. I was college bound. I didn't think anything about it at the time. Later, he explained he never graduated high school. He told me he and his wife eloped in a different state when she became pregnant. She lost the child; but, he stayed. I found that admirable. He worked until he was old enough to join the military. He served overseas. They were stationed in Germany. Upon returning, he had tradeskills that allowed him to become a lineman for the telephone company. He worked his way up from there. Along the line, they had their only living child, their son. He was pensive. A while later, he informed me he was attending night school for his high school diploma. After all those years, he really wanted his diploma. He did it. He graduated. It was my turn to say I was proud of him. It's never too late to attain the things you really want in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment