Thursday, October 3, 2013

It's good to have preferences but better to always educate yourself

I really enjoy enjoy eating mushrooms therefore it is very difficult to select a favorite.  However, my cousin Odie who I spent many summers in my youth at my Mama's[1] home with loves to wander in the woods and collect edible plants like sassafras root and oyster mushrooms.   Growing up, I grew fond of his licorice flavored sassafras teas and many many edible wild plant recipes in particular a stir fry including copious amounts of oyster mushrooms.  I suppose if I had to pick a favorite I would select oyster mushrooms.
[1] Note:  Mama is what we called our Grandmother on our Dad's side of the family.

This entry always makes me smile.  I grew up with my brother, many cousins, and two nannies to keep watch over us.  Our nanny Faye was always convinced Odie was trying to poison us.  She suspiciously tried each of his concoctions first.  Our nannies were highly superstitious.  I suppose it's cultural. 

These days there are many cultures.  I'm not just speaking in a traditional sense.  The Twitter culture for example is very different than the Facebook, the Google+, the Tumblr, or the Pinterest cultures.  Each has their own set of rules and  norms.  What may be acceptable on one social platform is out of the norm or completely unacceptable in another.  In social networking, you may have your preferences or favorite but unlike other topics it's your responsibility as a good citizen of each network to learn acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

It's not just social taboo or superstition.  Anything you do online is a permanent reflection of yourself.  You don't want a social misunderstanding to inadvertently represent you in a negative manner.  While it's possible to rebrand, there's always that lingering misstep that could've been avoided had you only bothered to properly educate yourself or at least tidy up per each site's privacy regulations.  It's good to have preferences but better to maintain a clean house so to speak, to keep up to date on the TOS for example and to always educate yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment