Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Favorite "Point"

I was once asked what my favorite point was...  It's an open ended question.  Most people answered typically -- pencil points, pen points, crayon points, laser points, to make a point... Well, that last answer was a bit more creative.  My answer was:  My favorite point is the one where I don't disap-"point" my children. It means a lot to me to make them just as proud of me as I am of them.

Parents always say, "Make me proud".  Children always seek their parent's approval.  I'm a single parent.  I've seen disappointment in my children's' eyes.  It has never been directed towards me.  I'd never want this.  I'd never want my children to be any less proud of me than my parents.  I often wonder if parents hear the way they speak to their children in public.  I wonder if they are capable of perceiving themselves in the same way strangers perceive them.  I wonder if they would modify their behavior if they could see what others see.  I wonder how they would react if they could see things through the eyes of their children.  There are so many people in life who you'd want to impress, who you'd want to be proud of you.  Shouldn't the first people on that list be yourself and your family?     

When you climb your way to the pinnacle of success, who do you want by your side?

No comments:

Post a Comment