Friday, December 13, 2013

Ask but never assume

My daughter recently switched apartments.  During the move, her Xbox hard drive was misplaced.  She dropped by a local shop to pick up another one and a longer HDMI cable.  The associate that was assisting her was making small talk.  Generally it's good practice to make small talk with your customers.  He was awkward.  One of the first things he said was "what kind of Xbox does your boyfriend have?"  When you make assumptions about the end use of any product, you risk losing that sale.  I purchased a nice waffle maker for a male member of my family this Christmas.  A few years ago, my brother gave me ties for my birthday.  Placing artificial labels on products isn't only limiting but can be fatal to your business.  When I purchase products, I don't expect them to be gender labeled nor do I expect sales associates to blatantly tag them as such.  If I find such inconsideration, there are other brands and other shops.  

No comments:

Post a Comment