Friday, December 6, 2013

Nothing is impossible.

A number of years ago, I met a talented developer.  After working together on a number of projects, we became good friends.  She's one of my better friends.  Though I'm familiar with her appearance from online video chats, I only learned her real first name recently when she asked mine.  It was never necessary information.  People often tell me it isn't possible to have close friends you've never met.  There's something missing.  If that's the case, the missing element isn't trust. 

Last year during November, we were working on a project.  I recall her telling me her headset was busted.  I made an offhand remark about all the sales going on and that it should be inexpensive to replace it.  She didn't respond for quite a long period of time.  I assumed she was working.  When she finally replied, she told me she couldn't replace the headset with just any headset.  She had sent off for a particular one.  At this point, you're likely thinking she's vain or spoiled.  I assure you that isn't the case.  She had never told anyone she worked with before me on that night.  She required special equipment because she was deaf.  The equipment allowed her to feel the sound waves as if she could hear them.  I would've never known had she not told me. 

I've never felt sorry for her.  She's one of the best.  Yet, I realize there are many things that are taken fore granted for the simple reason that they're gifts we're all born with so we never know what it's like to live without them.  Some people will never see the sunrise.  Others will never earn your trust.  Some people are born blessed.  Others work for their blessings.  She taught me to turn my disadvantages to my advantage and never to take anything fore granted.  Be grateful for your blessings but if you're not so blessed work toward it.  Nothing is impossible.    

No comments:

Post a Comment