Friday, April 21, 2023

Early memories

I remember both my Mom and my Auntie were nursing students. At some point they took different paths. My Auntie started working for an insurance company. I remember her boss had a private box at the horse races he allowed our family to use. My Mom started working in the lab at Saint Mary of the Woods. I remember her friends but not their names which is rare for me. Most of them were Nuns. One was a published author. She wrote a book where the main characters were my brother and me. It was an underwater story. I'm certain my Mom still has it somewhere. One baked me a birthday cake in the shape of a lamb. The fur was coconut. It had chocolate chip eyes. I had multiple birthday parties. I was really spoiled. I do recall none of the children, including myself wanting to cut into the little lamb cake. My Mom and Auntie took it into the kitchen and basically disassembled it; so, we would eat it. It was German chocolate. I only remember because we liked the nuts, cream, chocolate and coconut. I can't imagine it being anything else. One had this Golden Retriever/Labrador that had puppies. My first dog was the runt of that litter. Yes. I chose the runt of the litter. He was a good dog. He was my first love. He was the source of my first heartbreak when we lost him. 

The lady that gave me the puppy said she'd do her best to keep him healthy. However, he was the runt of the litter. That meant he's the smallest and may not be the healthiest. She told me most people don't want the runt of the litter because they're small and sickly. It made me sad. My brother was small and sickly when he was young. We wanted that puppy. I've never told anyone why we always chose the runt of the litter.













No comments:

Post a Comment