Friday, April 14, 2023

The holiday sibling photograph and other traditions

Every year for as long as I can remember, my parents took an annual sibling photograph. This ordinarily occurred at Thanksgiving or Christmas. At first, it was just my brother and me. Eventually, there were three of us. Today, I'm the oldest of five children. It's never been an issue. Whoever is present for the sibling photograph must be in the sibling photograph. Last year, my brother had a miniature breakdown. He didn't want to take our sibling photo because we were only three of five. It was 2022. Our Dad passed away in 2012. Two of our sisters moved to Washington shortly afterward. It was my turn to have a mini breakdown. I reminded my brother just how long it had been - just the three of us. He reluctantly took the photograph. We used to see oneanother nearly every weekend. Now, I have a nephew I've never met. Our Dad was the glue that kept our traditions alive. I never want to lose our traditions. It's like losing the last remaining pieces we have left of our Dad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment