Friday, April 7, 2023

Random thoughts of a different time

When I was young, our extended family would caravan across the United States during the summer. My Dad always marked the route on a map for us to revisit later. We always wanted to stop at every Stuckey's we saw along the way. Pit stops are fun for children. Back then, there was no seat belt law. Everyone just piled in where they fit. My Dad drove a station wagon. I always sat in the very back. I've been to forty nine of fifty states. I'm only missing Alaska. I hope to see the northern lights one day. 

A frequent stop for us was Niagara Falls. One of my most vivid memories is running beneath the falls with my brother and Dad. I remember Bedrock (Flintstones theme Park) in South Dakota. We have some cool photographs. Every time I have chocolate, I remember Hershey Pennsylvania. We've been to all the major tourist attractions. I remember my brother and I having strong "no" feelings about that elevator in the Empire State Building. Dad bribed us as usual. Funny thing, we didn't like elevators but would run stairs and didn't have a problem with heights. If it was a theme park, we've been there. If it was unusual, we've definitely been there. When we visited the painted desert and Grand Canyon, we heard about and visited this really cool underground cave with ufo cave paintings. 

I have strong memories of visiting relatives in California. I remember walking along the boardwalk. I have this vivid recollection of my Dad laughing maniacally because we drove down Lombard Street in a van. There was a sign that clearly said, "no vans". We mentioned it as we passed it. He said, "Oh well. Too late now." Sometimes, I still dream of the beach. Our family stayed at Venice Beach often. I can still smell the air sometimes. 

I remember the Parthenon in Nashville. I remember Beagle Street in Memphis. I remember Louisiana. I remember the World's Fair in Tennessee. Some of my favorite locations (off the top of my head) are still the Mirage in Vegas, Colorado in general, Universal Studios, and Cape Canaveral. I could keep going; but, we'd be here a long time. We still travel, just not as far or for as long. I can honestly say I miss it. It's nice to just get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment