Saturday, September 14, 2013

Certain words trigger certain responses regardless of logic

Alyssah: I'm not going to be in class tomorrow.
Teacher: Come here

Alyssah: (moves closer)
Teacher: No. Here.
Alyssah: (moves closer)
Teacher: Now what is so important that you have to miss my class?
Alyssah: Well I have to go to court...
Teacher: (moves quickly away) ...What did you do!
 

When my daughter was still in high school, she decided she wanted to change her surname to mine. That was back in 2011.  I find it humorous and interesting because most people had the same reaction to the words "I have to go to court" although my daughter is an honor student who has never been in any trouble.  It's almost a reflex reaction.  Certain words trigger certain responses regardless of logic.  In having such knowledge regarding what the general public will react to as well as what certain sub groups are more certain to react favorably towards, individuals could potentially make use of this information to his or her benefit both in a public speaking forum or in a private interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment