Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Without experience, life becomes filled with pre-packaged emptiness

Often convenience makes people lazy.  This isn't an arbitrary statement.  I've been observing this for sometime.  To be honest, my family has been doing construction on various parts of our home for a while now.  No contractors, just family.  It can be a bit overwhelming.  Convenience foods fill a need.  My family lacks time.  Fast food may not be ideal but we're eating.  This condition has improved considerably as of late.  Our Mom  has decided to make use of the copious amounts of vegetables and herbs from our gardens. 

The only reason I even brought up the whole issue of convenience food is at this particular moment in time we have graham crackers and marshmallows in our home.  I know, I bought them.  We have many varieties of suitably delicious chocolate as well, my brother bought the chocolate.  All the ingredients are irresistibly sitting in the kitchen.  Therefore, it somewhat confuses me that we have pre-made s'mores.  I won't argue the product is good.  They're just not as good as the home made variety but they'll do for a quick snack. 

However, I question their existence in the first place.  I timed it.  It doesn't even take a minute (approximately thirty to forty five seconds depending on how quickly you work) to make a s'more the lazy way in the microwave.  It takes just a bit longer (not much) if I insist upon using a heat source or an existing open flame to toast the marshmallow before assembling the s'more. 

Half the fun of living is in the experience.  If you remove the involvement, it may still taste good, look good, feel good, but you are only perceiving what the brand wants you to see.  Without contact, life becomes filled with pre-packaged emptiness.  You just don't realize how empty it is because you've never had the opportunity to experience what it's supposed to be like first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment