Sunday, September 1, 2013

Respect and Trust aren't Granted. They are earned.

I had a discussion with a friend. He complains no one respects their elders, superiors, or authority. I comprehend his point of view but don't subscribe to it. I don't expect respect because of age, occupation or experience unless it's shared. Respect is earned by those who've earned your own. In a perfect world, I'd agree but the world isn't perfect. It isn't how others act, it's how you do.

I wrote this years ago.  It's regarding a colleague of mine.  He's an older gentleman.  When I started working with him I was in my twenties.  He was older than my Dad at the time.  Yet he never treated me any differently than if we were the same age.  He didn't care much for many of the younger people who worked with us.  Admittedly they were easily intimidated and infuriating.  Even people ten or twenty years older than me were afraid of him.  They said he was always in a foul mood and never smiled.  That by the way isn't true.  I used to eat lunch with him on many an occasion.  He loved to laugh.  

Often people go into situations with preconceived ideas and notions.  These sabotage their ability to form normal connections and relationships.  In their minds, for one reason or another whether they're aware of it or not it's already a certain way.  These are the types of people who although they may love their jobs somehow feel limited at work.  They see no lateral or upward mobility.  They feel confined.  Some of them perceive imaginary career doors, walls, and ceilings.  Eventually many of them move on.  It's not out of unhappiness but to seek new or better opportunities.  

From my personal experience of having to utter the words "He or She isn't that bad or doesn't hate you." or "Of course you're appreciated or respected." many times in the past, it's a communication issue.  More than communication, it's an interaction and trust issue.  When you work with others, it's important to trust them.  Trust like respect is earned.  You can't earn either if you're unwilling or afraid to interact and engage your co-workers, colleagues, subordinates and superiors.  Do so openly and honestly.  Everyone is there to accomplish the same greater goals.  No one will want to work with you if they feel you aren't being genuine and trustworthy.  Remember, someone working under their own private agenda isn't someone people will want to place their faith in nor depend upon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment