Saturday, September 21, 2013

The importance of writing things down and reading it

I'm a large proponent of writing down items of importance.  I've carried a journal since I was young.  My first was a gift from my Dad to write down important things.  When I started college I switched to a planner.  When I entered the work force, I started using Franklin Covey.  While I prefer Franklin Covey, I'm alright with a good day planner.  It's always a good idea to be prepared.  You can't be prepared, if you haven't planned for it.  It's just that simple.

Yesterday my youngest daughter called and advised me she would be dropping in from college.  She's starting work study and requires certain documents.  Dutifully, I retrieved these documents from our safety deposit box in the bank and awaited her visit.  She's always very thoughtful with her visits and makes certain I don't need anything.  We went to lunch and ran errands.  She's delightful company.  Of course, I wrote down why she drove home previously when she called me.  She knew why she drove home.  However, by the end of her visit she hugged me good bye, kissed me on the cheek and drove away.  I'm always contently tired after her visits.  As I lay napping, I had an awful feeling I was forgetting something.  I forced my eyes open.  There on my desk was the envelope I removed from the bank for Alyssah.  Oh snap.

I called Alyssah.  She was a half an hour away already but she needed those documents for school.  She took the next exit and turned around.  My Alyssah also carries a planner.  She also wrote down not to forget to retrieve the documents.  The point is often when you are enjoying yourself, items of importance will slip your mind.  Although both my daughter and I wrote down this particular item of importance, neither of us thought to look at our planners before she left.  That's unusual.  We normally plan another lunch or dinner in advance.  It's not only significant to acknowledge what should be noted and write it down accordingly but it's equally if not more so important to refer to your journal, notes, or planner.  It's of no use to have it written down, if no one ever sees it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment