Friday, August 9, 2013

Scratchable bone cast

I found this article. I definitely see the appeal.  However, I believe it's another way that medical technology robs us of an important part of childhood.  That is if you break a bone, I recall how cool it was to sign someone's cast for them.  It's part of our culture.  Everyone signed a friend's cast as a show of good faith and friendship.  I still have friends who have old casts from when they were children because of all the good will graffiti.  Why else would you keep such a memento.  As medical technology makes some things simpler and better for us, it also takes away pieces of what make us culturally unique.  Anthropologists of the future will be able to tell what era they've reached based on the level of technological advancement just like the anthropologists of today.  I often wonder what their assessment of us will sound like. 
Scratchable Bone Cast

No comments:

Post a Comment