Saturday, August 3, 2013

To Like or Not to Like

I enjoy social networking.  It's like a window into the lives of my family, friends, and colleagues.  While it's not a substitute for actual contact, it's a great way to show support and stay in touch.  Admittedly, I try to approach one thing about this whole social networking process with a bit of caution due to it's ambiguous nature.  I'm cautious of the "like" in Facebook or the +1 in GooglePlus because my intentions can be easily misinterpreted.  If I "like" something does it mean I like it, enjoy it, agree with it or simply that I'm showing support for whomever posted it.  Those are all very different intentions.  If it is a political, religious, or somehow otherwise emotionally charged post, "liking" it can cause unintentional conflict.

I "liked" a photograph.  Four hours later my friend associated this photograph with a religious post.  It appeared as if I "liked" the post.  I honestly don't know how that happened.  I do know I was forced to defend my religious views that aren't on my profile for a reason.  Unfortunately, I can't hide that part of who I am from childhood friends.  I was attacked over a "like" on Facebook.  It was a misunderstanding.  Everyone removed their own posts, mail, e-Mail, and voice-mail. 

In my case, it was an honest mistake.  What about careless "likes" or cases where people genuinely intended on "liking" the post.  Should the intent of the "like" be taken into consideration.  I "liked" it to support my friend.  I "liked" it to support the victims in the post.  I "liked" it because I hope they find the little girl.  I "liked" it to support cancer research.  I "liked" it because I hope Jane gets well soon.  Personally, I "like" the positive posts.  If I intend upon showing support or giving my condolences, I'll comment.  I find clarity is best.        

   

No comments:

Post a Comment