Sunday, August 4, 2013

There's a lot of emphasis placed on labels

I found this very interesting because I've experienced many instances in a short period of time.  I find people are more comfortable if they can categorize things, people, and events.  By placing labels on something it gives individuals, groups, or corporations something tangible to examine, refer to, or grasp.  I often ask for paper bags or boxes at grocery stores if I don't use my own grocery bag.  I'm labeled as "being green".  I use my own grocery bag when we're walking and purchasing items that are heavy.  My bag is re-useable and won't break.  Therefore we don't risk losing groceries.  I ask for boxes because I have two college students.  It's convenient to have many different sized boxes when they move around each semester.  The paper bags have multiple uses for crafting, covering floors when painting, to hold recyclables, and as stand alone trash cans.  When our groceries are bagged in plastic, we recycle the plastic bags as small trash can liners. 

I'm always asked what it's like to "be green" or how difficult it is to "go green".  To be honest, there was no conscious decision to "go green" or to "be green". We've always had a garden. We've always recycled. My children and niece craft.  My siblings and I craft.  Now that our household is smaller, we usually don't adjust the amount of food we cook. Some of the left over food gets frozen for later. Some of the left over food gets re-purposed into other recipes. Some of it obviously gets eaten as left overs. 

Our home is very large. Fans, space heaters, and our fireplace have always been more practical than our central air and central heating. For tax purposes everything down to our hot water heater is the most energy efficient, "green" one they install. In my honest opinion, there's a lot of emphasis placed on labels. I hike because I've always enjoyed it not because it's a "green" activity

No comments:

Post a Comment